WCMH-TV, the NBC affiliate of Media General,Inc., has recently launched the company's first mobile TV (MDTV). This broadcast is available on electronic items such as laptops and cell phones, as long as they are properly equipped. This means that the portable device will need to have a chipset built into it. If the chipset is not already built in, consumers will be able to buy tuners or USB-type external devices to plug into the device. Other than having to buy the tuner, this service is completely free.
Contents that are available through this broadcasting include news (both national and local), sports, entertainment, and on-demand videos. These shows were chosen to meet the needs of the consumers.
Media General first began with reaching out to their consumers through providing internet services, emailing services, and texting. However, with a change in consumer needs, they have decided to fulfill these needs through this new service.
Certain countries in Asia, such as South Korea, are already providing mobile TV to consumers. It has proven to be a great hit in these countries and I'm interested to see if it will be as widespread in the United States as it is in those countries. Seeing that it will be free, I feel that many people will decide that it will be a worthwhile investment, even if they have to spend a little extra to buy the external tuners.
http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20100929-906333.html
I agree that this investment will be well worth the price. Consumers are always looking for portability and accessibility when searching for a product; this product gives the users just what they are looking for. From your post and the article, it seems that the chip that needs to be built in will not be much of a hassle, which will also help this company to strive. All in all I believe that this product will be a great one, and if my phone is compatible, I will definitely be looking into purchasing it myself.
ReplyDelete